Tuesday, May 02, 2006

EAT LOCAL CHALLENGE DAY 2

Breakfast:
Homemade organic yogurt*
Canned peaches - Effingham, S.C.

* I am really proud of this yogurt, partly because it's the best my yogurt has ever turned out, and partly because it was through my efforts that our local Ingles grocery store started selling organic 2% milk in half-gallons. For a while, I'd go in and there would be one lone gallon of whole organic milk shoved on top of the other milk; it didn't even have its own place on the shelf. Then I talked with the dairy department manager and let him know what I wanted. Bingo--lower-fat organic milk in manageable amounts, with a whole row of dedicated space in the cooler. I hope other people are buying it too.

Lunch:
Leftover pea and asparagus risotto - from two nights ago. Rice from Texas, which is out of my area, but not too terribly bad; my own peas and asparagus; chicken and chicken broth from the same chicken that went into yesterday's soup; a smidgen of nonlocal cheese.

Snack:
PBJ - bread from Thomasville, Ga.; peanut butter from Opelika, Ala.; my own blueberry jam made from blueberries I picked in Watkinsville, Ga.

Dinner:
Ham - a leftover chunk of our own wonderful homemade, from half a pig we bought from a middle Ga. producer in January; glazed with my own green tomato chutney
Red Mule grits - from Mills Farm, Athens, Ga.
Coleslaw - my own cabbage and carrots; Vidalia onion from Ga.; Duke's Mayonnaise from S.C.

2 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, I'd be super proud of your yogurt, and of getting the dairy manager to carry organic milk!!
Off to make my shopping list.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Laurie said...

Duke's is the only commercial mayonnaise worth eating. Everybody knows that!

I'd like to make my own yogurt, too. So many projects, so little time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home