Monday, May 01, 2006

EAT LOCAL CHALLENGE DAY 1

Breakfast:
Red Mule English Porridge - from Mills Farm, Athens, Ga.
Honey - from our friend Harold's hives, Bogart, Ga.
Banana - organic, from Ecuador (ouch! it's the last one, I promise)

Have started a batch of homemade yogurt from organic milk (from Wisconsin and NC, since I finished one jug and started another) and Stonyfield yogurt starter.

Lunch:
Vegetable soup - my own fresh wax beans, green beans, peas, beets, carrots, beet greens, and turnip greens; Vidalia onion from Georgia; a little leftover free-range chicken whose origin I have forgotten; a can of tomatoes from heaven knows where; a handful of nonlocal green pepper and celery.
Leftover focaccia - homemade, but containing nonlocal flour, wine, and olive oil

Snack:
Homemade marmalade swirl ice cream - I think this was totally local except for the vanilla; most of our milk, cream, and sugar comes from Florida, and I know the honey tangerines in my marmalade were Floridean.

Dinner:
Stir-fry - my own bok choi and snap peas; Vidalia onions from Georgia; farmed organic shrimp from Florida; and the less said about the rest of it the better...we were starving and opted for Asian noodles instead of Southern rice because the noodles were faster.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home