Thursday, August 04, 2005

EAT LOCAL CHALLENGE
DAY 4

Breakfast:
Life cereal - not local (I expect to go into DTs when I run out)
Milk - Tennessee
Peach - South Carolina

Lunch:
Panzanella - tomatoes from Georgia; cucumbers, parsley, and basil from my own yard; the rest was already in the pantry and who knows where it came from :-)

Dinner:
Persian chicken with cherries and saffron rice - chicken from Georgia (our area is a big chix processing center, but sadly, these are not free-range chickens, just the regular factory kind), cherries from fruit farm in Ohio near my mom, rice from Texas, butter from Florida
Peach blueberry cake - peaches from South Carolina, blueberries from Georgia, sugar from Texas, butter from Florida, flour not local

2 Comments:

At 7:44 PM, Blogger Rozanne said...

"Life cereal - not local (I expect to go into DTs when I run out)"

Because of all the toxins in it that you're body has become accustomed to or because you actually like it?

Can you get local oats? If so, make yourself some granola or muesli with pecans from your tree.

Gosh, I'm bossy and opinionated.

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

Ah, Life...it was the one Quaker cold cereal that my grandfather (a chemist there for decades) actually encouraged us to eat. There were a lot he wouldn't let us touch with a ten-foot pole ;-)

I am just terribly, terribly addicted to oats. I love Life cereal, oat flakes, oatmeal, granola, anything with oats in it. And as far as I know, oats don't grow anywhere in the south. I am crossing my fingers that local millers Red Mule will have a multigrain cereal when I visit them at the Farmer's Market. If not, then when I run out of oaty things it'll be rice and cornmeal for me until further notice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home