Monday, February 21, 2005

I am thinking of folding this blog into my other blog, on the theory that I shouldn't ghettoize my food. What do you think?

Also, did you know that nutritionally speaking, it is almost possible to exist on just Swiss muesli and plain yogurt?

Last night I tried a recipe from an 1828 cookbook whose goal was to produce lemon meringues with a currant jelly filling. It said to dollop little teaspoonfuls of jelly onto parchment, then cover completely with meringue and partly bake. Then you'd quickly scrape up the filled meringues and attach them bottom to bottom so that they formed a ball with jelly in the middle, and bake the rest of the way.

I didn't have much success with the method as it was printed. There was currant jelly everywhere, not to mention sticky-sweet egg whites in my hair. But having tried it this way, I think I know how to do it better: Make 12 little meringue shells with divots in them, and 12 meringue lids. Bake fully. Fill and assemble. Heat oh-so-slightly to melt the jelly. It's worth doing, because the contrast in flavors is really nice. It'd be great for a fancy reception or a tea.

2 Comments:

At 3:00 PM, Blogger alfredblog said...

It would certainly free up some time for me to only have to go one place to experience your world; however, I have an insane amount of free time. Perhaps that would give me too much open space in my schedule (pronounced shedool).
XO
A.J.
p.s.
the stairs look great.
do you think the s.o. vould build us some bunkbeds?
I have always wanted some...

 
At 6:23 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

"Sure," he said when I asked him. "King-size bunkbeds?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home