Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Better late than never, right?

CHICKEN WITH SRIRACHA SAUCE
Adapted from one of those healthy-cooking magazines, but I don't know which one because I clipped it out and stuck it in my recipe box. If anyone recognizes it, please let me know, because I'd like to give them their due. This is a keeper.

1/4 c. finely chopped onion
2 Tbs. sugar
2 Tbs. fresh lime juice
1 Tbs. fish sauce
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. sesame oil
1 lb. boneless chicken pieces (thigh and leg meat, breasts cut in half, whatever; they should be about 2 oz. apiece)
3 Tbs. ketchup
1 Tbs. Sriracha (hot chile sauce, such as Huy Fong brand)
2 tsp. honey
1 tsp. grated peeled fresh ginger root
4 tsp. rice vinegar
1 tsp. sesame oil
rice to serve

Combine the first 6 ingredients in a container or freezer bag large enough to hold all the chicken. Add chicken, mix thoroughly, and marinate, chilled, overnight.
Combine ketchup, Sriracha, honey, ginger, and rice vineger in a bowl. Whisk.
Heat 1 tsp. sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, discarding the marinade. Cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned.
Cover pan and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 8 minutes or until done, turning once.
Serve chicken on rice with dollops of ketchup-Sriracha sauce.


CUCUMBER & BEANSPROUT SALAD
This strikes me as an Asian equivalent of an Israeli salad. I adapted it from the Chinese volume of the Cookshelf series.

8 oz. fresh beansprouts
1/2 large cucumber, seeded and cut into matchsticks
1/2 large green pepper, seeded and cut into matchsticks
1 carrot, cut into matchsticks or shaved with a peeler
1 stick celery, cut into matchsticks
1 large tomato, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
dash of Sriracha (hot chile sauce)
2 Tbs. soy sauce
2 tsp. white wine vinegar
2 tsp. sesame oil

Blanch the beansprouts in boiling water for exactly 1 minute--no more. Plunge them immediately into ice water to stop the cooking. Swish them around to cool them, then drain thoroughly.
Combine beansprouts, cucumber, green pepper, carrot, celery, and tomato in a bowl.
Mix together the garlic, Sriracha, soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil. Pour this dressing over the vegetables and toss well. Serve immediately (the beansprouts lose their freshness if you try to store it).

2 Comments:

At 5:19 PM, Blogger alfredblog said...

Jamie,
I am just now realizing I never have posted to your blogs, even though I check them out daily. So, my apologies. Have you ever posted your recipe for vegetable samosas?
Since the s.o. and our fellow sob co-workers chose to eat all of them before I had a chance to experience this goodness?!?
XO
A.J.
www.normaltown.blogspot.com

 
At 5:43 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

A.J.--
Check out the entry for my birthday, May 26. You of all people are capable of making awesome samosas. And let me know if you need any of the more obscure spices, because I can probably spare a few tsps. :-)
I'm so glad you've been reading!
J

 

Post a Comment

<< Home