Sunday, October 24, 2004

Poink! Poink!

That's the sound of success when you're canning something; each "Poink!" means a jar has sealed up correctly. It sounds a little like a note on a child's xylophone. It's music to my ears.

For the last few autumns, I have gathered windfalls from the old pear tree that stands outside the pantry window and converted them into pear-citrus marmalade. Today was the day. The recipe can be found in the March 14, 2004 post of this blog.

Canning is kind of a pain in the ass, but there are good and valid reasons to do it--even if it does mean everything in the kitchen will be sticky for a while.

1 Comments:

At 11:20 AM, Blogger Rozanne said...

Shades of my mother. She used to pick up windfall pears (from other people's yards!) and can them.

I now consider that very resourceful of her, but when I was a teenager her old-fashioned frugality horrified me.

Yeah. Canning is a lot of work and it does take over the entire kitchen. I remember kind of thinking it was neat, although those windfalls were super sticky to cut up and we always ended up with about half a dozen wasps in the house.

I remember that "poink" sound--it was strangely satisfying and pleasant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home