Monday, December 20, 2004

DAY 2
(See 12/19 to get up to speed, if you're just now joining the party.)

I am nursing an annoying, though un-dangerous, puncture wound from yesterday. When I was picking over the carcass of the goose, the palm of my left hand had an unexpected encounter with one of the bird's spiky wing-claw things. I had no idea there even was such a thing, but there it was, and it was just as painful as something you'd expect to find on an angry live goose. NB: Watch out for these in the future.

The first order of business today was to make the terrine. I shucked as much meat as I could from the neckbones, threw in the heart and gizzard, and then (because my goose was a small one and I knew I'd come up short) added a bit of meat from the wings, which are very rubbery and unlike other poultry wings I have known. I minced all of this with the gooey red raw liver I'd reserved, and then combined all of it with some good Italian sausage, herbs, spices, a little liquor, and some egg and bread crumbs.

I took a petite 1-qt. dish, which upon reflection was still a little large for my purposes, and lined it with bacon strips. Then I spread the minced meat mixture inside and baked the whole thing in a bain-marie for an hour and a half. When it was done, I brought it out and pressed it flat under a heavy canister of cornmeal.

Okay. The next thing to do was to roast a panful of chestnuts. This went easily except I lost a few to, er, attrition because they smelled so tasty when they came out of the oven.

When dinnertime was imminent, I simmered some Brussels sprouts until they were bright green. I fried two panfuls of meaty bacon until it was crisp. Then I whirled the sprouts with a little cream, butter, and salt in the food processor and spread the chunky puree on a plate. I topped it with minced roasted chestnuts and crumbled crispy bacon.

I peeled the bacon off the terrine (the bacon was just for flavoring and was given to the dogs), sliced it, and served it with big dollops of Major Grey's Chutney.

I was uneasy about this meal. It was a little fancy-fancy, a little Continental. But it went over big, just like last night's roast. The spicy, rich, iron-y taste of the terrine is perfect with the sweet zing of the chutney. And the sprouts...well, they are sprouts on a whole different level. Twice the s.o. has remarked how much he liked the meal, and I have to concur.

To gild the lily, we consumed the meal while watching a Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall video--my Christmas present from the s.o. There was a brief uncomfortable moment when someone castrated a calf onscreen and the s.o. looked a little green at the gills. But we both agreed the show is even better than we expected. We know so many people who need to see it!

I notice I have switched back into past tense in my description of the day's activities. Eh. So edit me.

To be continued...

4 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger Jamie said...

Ohhhh...my arteries... ;-)

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger Rozanne said...

I hear you about the arteries.

Bain-marie? Bath-Mary?

I have to say that the terrine is definitely beyond my skills. But the Brussels sprouts dish? That I could do.

Once again, a great vicarious read.

 
At 5:59 AM, Blogger Jamie said...

Bain-marie, n. - A large pan containing hot water in which smaller pans may be set to cook food slowly or to keep food warm.

You could do it. It was easy. :-)

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Rozanne said...

I did look it up, but it wasn't in my Web 10 (I know, I should have Web 11 by now, and I looked no further.

Thanks for filling me in.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home